I first discovered chia seeds in Synergy Kombucha teas while strolling the grocery store. I thought the drinks looked interesting (what are those little seeds floating around in there!?) and decided to give them a try. I wasn't sold right away...the drink has a gel like consistency and I wasn't sure if you are supposed to chew the seeds or just swallow them. It was just kinda weird.
Eventually I warmed up to the drinks in a big way, and even started to crave them! After doing a little research about chia seeds, I took a trip to the Co-Op and bought a bag to experiment.
Basically, chia seeds are a amazing. They are flavorless, and can be incorporated into your diet in so many ways. They can be sprinkled on cereal, blended in smoothies, ground to create a powder, and when mixed with water or other liquid (milk, etc) they create a gel like consistency that can replace eggs/oil/butter in baking recipes.
This bread is more a breakfast pumpkin bread, rather than dessert pumpkin bread. It's quite dense, and the chia seeds add just the slightest bit of texture.
**Next time I make this bread, I may try adding a little more baking powder. I really like the density, but I want to see if next time it will rise a little more.
Oh, I highly recommend making this bread while drinking a pumpkin latte. I mean, might as well go all out, right?
1. First, let's make your chia gel! Simply combine 1 tbs chia seeds with 11 tbs water, stir, and let sit for 15-20 mins. Bam! Chia gel.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
3. Beat sugar and chia gel in large bowl to blend. Mix in eggs and pumpkin.
4. Sift flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and baking powder into another large bowl.
6. Divide batter equally between prepared pans. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Transfer to racks and cool 10 minutes. Using sharp knife, cut around edge of loaves. Turn loaves out onto racks and cool completely.here)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
1. Beat cream cheese until very creamy. Beat in powdered sugar. Stir in vanilla. Add 3 tablespoons milk. Totally combine. Add more milk to get desired consistency.