Image Map

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Peanut Butter Black Bean Brownies


As of a few days ago, I have started counting my calories a bit. Nothing extreme, but I am trying to be more conscious of what I'm eating. This means more fruits and veggies, less bread and less sugar.

My body is thanking me, but my brain is not on the same page. I've been having mean sugar cravings! So, I decided to give black bean brownies a try. If you have been on the blogsphere for a while, I'm sure you've heard of these gluten free wonders.



After searching for a low-fat version for a while (there are so many!) I decided to give these Black Bean Avocado Chocolate Chip Fudge Brownies. Black beans and avocado? Yes! Of course I switched it up a bit; I didn't have any chocolate chips, so I added some peanut butter and walnuts for texture.


Peanut Butter Black Bean Brownies (Recipe Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen)
  • 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 egg plus 2 egg whites
  • 1/3 of a large ripe avocado
  • 1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
  • 1/3 cup, plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's "Special Dark")
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute of choice
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter
  • chopped walnuts (optional)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8×8 inch baking pan.
  2. Place all ingredients besides chocolate chips into blender or food processor. Process or puree until ingredients form a smooth batter. Pour into prepared pan, swirl in peanut butter and sprinkle nuts on top. 
  3. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out somewhat clean and top of the brownies begin to crack.
  4. Cool pan completely on wire rack then cut into 16 squares.



6 comments:

  1. I have seen a couple black bead brownie recipes lately and now I think I must try them!
    Carlee
    Almost Endearing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try your recipes!

    I nominated you for the Liebster award!

    http://www.polkadotpixies.com/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    Hugs!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't believe these are made with black beans! pinning this to make later :)

    thanks <3

    kelly elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! I never would've guessed the ingredients! I feel you on the calorie side. I'm trying to do the same thing, but sugar always wins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg those brownies look amazing! Ive got a tiny kitchen and never make desert, but I will definitely give this recipe a go. Thanks!

    http://style-palate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate each and every one.