Peanut butter and jelly is pretty good. But peanut butter and chocolate? Now that is amazing. These cookies are the perfect combination of crunchy and chewy, peanut butter and chocolate. And they look so cute...what's not to love?
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tbsp. cocoa powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1. Mix together sugars, peanut butter, shortening, butter and egg in larghe bowl. Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cover and refrigerate for two hours, or until firm.
2. Preheat oven to 375
3. Remove all dough from bowl, and split into two equal amounts. Place half of dough back into ball and mix in cocoa powder.
4. Take a small amount of chocolate dough and peanut butter dough and roll together to form 1 inch balls.
5. Roll balls in granulated sugar, and flatten in crisscross pattern with fork.
6. Place in oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until just slightly golden.
* Note: Don't make the mistake I did and slightly overcook a batch! The chocolatey flavor got cooked out a bit. Still tasty, but not as chocolatey.
7. Allow to cool 5 minutes and transfer to cooling rack.