I ordered two black bean burgers at two different restaurants recently, and was a bit disappointed by both of them. They weren't bad, but I just kept thinking about how much better they could have been! Both were pretty dry and flavorless. So I decided to make my own and they turned out so, so yummy.
Black beans give these burgers texture and substance while the yams add moisture and flavor. Spices are added to give it some heat, with corn and onion adding some depth. Throw on your favorite toppings (avocado is a must), and you have yourself a delicious burger without guilt.
Black Bean & Yam Burgers
*Recipe makes about 10 patties. Mixture keeps well in the fridge, or make a bunch at once and freeze them!
3 cups cooked and mashed golden yams (approx. 2 yams)
30 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
2 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 cups plain bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. sriracha sauce (add more if you like more spice)
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. salt
plenty of fresh ground pepper
1. Chop yams into cubes and boil in a large pot until soft. Mash until smooth.
2.. In a large bowl, mix mashed yams and half of black beans. In a small bowl, mash remaining black beans with a fork and add to yam mixture.
3. Add corn, onions, cilantro, garlic and bread crumbs. Mix until well combined.
4. Add cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, sriracha sauce, salt. Add fresh ground pepper to taste. Mix until well combined.
5. To cook, form yam mixture into patties. Turn on skillet to medium heat and add a few drops of olive oil. Place patties on skillet, and let cook for about 5 minutes on first side, press down with spatula slightly and allow to cook for another couple minutes. Flip and cook for approximately 5 minutes. Both sides should be a nice golden brown and be a bit crispy.
6. Assemble burger to your liking and enjoy!