Image Map

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Asian Chicken Salad


As much as I love rich and creamy comfort foods, summer begs for lighter and fresher meals. I find myself eating as many blueberries possible, adding mint to every drink, and craving fish tacos. I also eat a lot more salads during the summer time, and this asian chicken salad is one of my favorites. 


My mom made this salad quite a bit, and then we lost the recipe so we just started winging it. I can seriously eat bowl after bowl of this stuff, it's just so dang tasty! Tommy loves it too, and getting him to eat salad can be difficult. It has crunch from the carrots and cabbage, tang from the dressing and lots of freshness from the cilantro, green onion and mint. I love it even more on the second day! If you'd like, you can add some little orange slices for sweetness, but I usually leave them out. 


Asian Chicken Salad
1/2 head of green cabbage, chopped (My head of cabbage was huge, you might use the whole head if yours is on the smaller side)
2 cups shredded chicken
1 1/2 cup carrots, diced (or shaved)
1 cup La Choy chow mein noodles
1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
3/4 cups green onion, diced
2 tbs mint, finely diced
1/2 cup shaved almonds
*mini orange slices, optional

Dressing:
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/2 cup rice vinegar (I used light)
2 tbs soy sauce
1/2 lemon, juice only
2 tbs. brown sugar
1/2 tbs. sriracha sauce
fresh ground pepper
2 tbs warm water

1. In a very large bowl, add cabbage, carrots, chow mein noodles, and almonds and toss to incorporate. Add green onions, mint and cilantro.
2. Prepare dressing! Add all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to incorporate. Taste and adjust if you find necessary (some people like more spice or sweetness).
3. If your chicken is cold, place it in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up. I used a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. Add warm chicken to the large bowl of cabbage, add half of dressing and toss to combine. Add the last half of dressing orange slices if you are adding them, and thoroughly combine.
4. Store covered in fridge. After a day or two the chow mein noodles may absorb some of the dressing, leaving it a bit dry. If this happens simply add a small squeeze of lemon juice, a squirt of oil and a dash of vinegar to moisten it back up.

3 comments:

  1. My asian food cravings have been answered! This looks amazing and so much better for me than the panda express I was thinking of!

    - applewood road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Seriously, make this instead. Don't get me wrong, panda tastes good in the moment (orange chicken, nom nom) but this doesn't make you feel crappy after!

      Delete
  2. ugh this looks ridiculously good! Pity im in the midst of winter and all i want is hot creamy fatty food! But im okay with that ;)
    x Eloise - Jazzlipsandtulips

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate each and every one.