Image Map

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Kale Ricotta and Feta Pie


I've been on a huge kale kick lately. I love making salads, sauteing it in the morning with an over easy egg, and putting it in my smoothies. It's definitely a veggie that grows on you, when I first tasted kale I wasn't crazy about it...now I'm trying to put it in everything! And thus, kale and ricotta pie was born.

Savory pie definitely gives conventional, sweet pie a  run for its money. While of course sweet pies are awesome, savory pies can be eaten in the morning (this pie is awesome with an egg on top for breakfast), for lunch and dinner. It's a super multi-tasker. And even though it's full of cheese, it's also full of kale which is super good for you. One cup of kale has 684% of your daily vitamin K...684%!! wowza.


For this pie I used my trusty store bought pie crust. I know, I'm a terrible food blogger. They are just so easy and fool proof! I used low-fat ricotta, but feel free to use whatever kind you like. It turned out so yummy...I'm actually gonna go have a slice of this right now!

Kale Ricotta and Feta Pie
Pie crust (I used store bought)
6 cups fresh kale, washed and chopped
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
2 tbs. olive oil

2 cups ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup feta cheese
2 eggs
Cherry tomamtoes
1/2 tbs. basil
1 tsp. rosemary
salt & pepper


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large frying pan, add olive oil, garlic and onion and cook over medium heat until onions are soft. Add kale and balsamic vinegar and cook until kale begins to wilt slightly. Be careful not to burn the kale! Turn off heat and cover.


2. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese and eggs. Add basil, rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. Fold in feta cheese and parmesan. Add cooked kale.

3. Prepare pie crust in your pie pan. Pour ricotta mixture onto pie crust and smooth with spatula. Cut cherry tomatoes in half, and push them into filling (inside of the tomato facing up).

4. Cover pie with foil and place in the oven for about 40 minutes, or until crust has become golden brown. Uncover pie, and cook for another 10-15 minutes, checking on it every so often so curst doesn't burn. Let cool for about 1 hour before cutting.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate each and every one.