Image Map

Monday, September 12, 2011

Mildred Pierce. Go read/watch it right now!

   
Mildred Pierce
   Being a full time college student, I do a lot of reading. Unfortunately, the majority consists of text books and articles. This leaves summer as the perfect opportunity to read for pleasure. After reading Tina Fey's new book (not as funny as I was hoping it to be...) I began Mildred Pierce by James M. Cain. Such an amazing book! 

  After devouring the book, I watched the mini-series on HBO and was impressed by how the script stayed so true to the novel. Kate Winslet is pitch-perfect as Mildred, a single mother who decides to open up her own restaurant during the Great Depression to support her two daughters. Her eldest daughter Veda, played by Evan Rachel Wood, is seductively vicious even as a child. 

Evan Rachel Wood as Veda. New favorite hair color!

 Mildred is blinded by love to see Veda for who she truly is, and pays the price in the end. While at times the mini-series does seem to drag on, the story portrays Mildred as a strong and resourceful  woman in the 1930's whose adoration for her child becomes both irrational and heartbreaking. But enough of this melodrama!

Run away from the crazy Mildred!

  Another component of this mini-series that captivated me was the costume design. I love so many things about this era! Men, can you please wear suits all the time? And ladies, sometimes more is more. And by that I mean more fabric leaves more to the imagination, which is so sexy in an elegant way. The hair and makeup is perfection as well. Love a matte red lip! Oh, and I have to admit, I have a total girl crush on Evan Rachel Wood. She is just so beautiful!

                                   
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I appreciate each and every one.